Long Island City, NY (January 18, 2023) – The United Union of Roofers, Waterproofers, and Allied Workers, Local Union #8 will conduct a recruitment from March 13, 2023 through March 24, 2023 for 25 Roofer apprentices, the New York State Department of Labor announced today.
Please note the 25 openings listed for Roofer apprentices represent the total for two recruitment regions – the Hudson Valley and New York City regions of the state.
Applications may be completed and submitted online only, starting at 8:00A.M. on March 13, 2023, at www.roofers8.org. This is a limited-application recruitment. Only 250 applications will be accepted, on a first-come, first-serve basis. The recruitment will be offered for 10 business days or until 250 applications have been submitted, whichever comes first.
Applications must be received online by 11:59 p.m. on March 24, 2023. Any applicant that misses the interview will be disqualified.
The Committee requires that applicants:
- Must be at least 18 years old. Proof will be required after selection and prior to enrollment in apprenticeship.
- Must have completed at least a 10th grade education or higher education or GED. All proof of education must be original copies and NO online diplomas will be accepted. Proof will be required after selection and prior to enrollment in apprenticeship.
- Must attest in writing that they are physically able to perform the work of a Roofer, which includes:
- Working from ladders and scaffolds from 6 feet in height up to and including buildings in excess of 50 floors.
- Lifting materials and equipment (such as roofing and waterproofing materials) weighing up to 65 pounds for extended periods of time.
- Repetitive bending and kneeling.
- Having manual dexterity and range of motion.
- Working in extreme weather conditions, such as heat, cold, and wind.
- Performing strenuous manual labor, such as: roof removal, roof replacement, and removal of roofing debris over extended periods of time.
- Must have reliable transportation to and from various work sites and required classes at the approved school.
- Must pass a drug test, at the expense of the sponsor, after selection and prior to enrollment in apprenticeship.
- Must reside in the jurisdiction of Local Union #8 at the time of application. This includes the counties of New York, Kings, Queens, Bronx, Richmond, Westchester, Rockland, Sullivan, Dutchess, Ulster, Orange, and Putnam. It also includes East of the Hackensack River in Hudson County, New Jersey.
- Proof of minimum qualifications must be in the form of original documents (no online diplomas will be accepted) and must be submitted at time of enrollment in apprenticeship.
For further information, applicants should contact United Union of Roofers, Waterproofers, and Allied Workers, Local Union #8 at (718) 361-1169. Additional job search assistance can be obtained at your local New York State Department of Labor Career Center (see: dol.ny.gov/career-centers).
Apprentice programs registered with the Department of Labor must meet standards established by the Commissioner. Under state law, sponsors of programs cannot discriminate against applicants because of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, disability, or marital status. Women and minorities are encouraged to submit applications for apprenticeship programs. Sponsors of programs are required to adopt affirmative action plans for the recruitment of women and minorities.